Thursday, September 18, 2008

Saucy Pork Chops

This is a recipe that a former coworker shared with me. I have made it a number of times and really like the flavor of the sauce. However, I think that the pork chops are almost always overcooked. I tried not to cook them as long last night, but I still don't think they need to be cooked that much. Maybe my friend bought extra thick pork chops with the bone that required more cooking time. I always buy boneless pork chops, though the ones last night were not that thin. Another problem might be the size of the pan she uses. I usually end up using my electric skillet, and it is fairly large, so if I try covering the pork chops with water, it would take for ever to boil the sauce down. Maybe if you used a small saucepan (just big enough or two pork chops) you could cover the chops. Anyway, the cooking times and instructions could use some tweeking, but the idea and the sauce are yummy, especially served over cooked egg noodles.

Saucy Pork Chops
Source: Kathy

2 pork chops [we always do at 3 or 4]
onion, sliced
water [I used about 1 1/2 cups]
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon paprika [I usually double the spices]
1/4 teaspoon dill weed [I usually double]
dash garlic powder
sour cream [I use about 1 cup]

Brown pork chops in a small amount of oil. Add onion and all seasonings. Cover chops with water and cover and simmer until water is almost evaporated, approximately 40 minutes. Remove pork chops and add sour cream to remaining seasonings in pan. Heat thoroughly, but do not boil.
[I usually saute the onions first, brown the chops, then add seasonings and water and simmer until I think the chops are done. I don't wait until most of the water is evaporated. In fact, I like to have a little water in there still to stretch the sauce. Keep in mind that the sauce will be thinner the more water that is left. We always serve this meal with egg noodles.]

No comments: